Practice Areas / Divorce
Divorce Lawyer Omaha NE
We Answer your questions about the law
1. What is the political subdivision Tort Claims Act and should I care?
2. How long will my personal injury claim or lawsuit take? Omaha, NE
3. Should I take an insurance company’s first offer? Omaha, NE
4. What is maximum medical improvement? Omaha, NE
5. What is my workers’ compensation claim worth? Omaha, NE
6. Can a child custody order be modified? Omaha, NE
7. How long do I have to bring a personal injury claim to court?
8. What if the workers' compensation accident was my fault? Omaha, NE
9. Why do I need a lawyer for my divorce? Omaha, NE
10. What kind of insurance coverage is available in Nebraska personal injury case? Omaha, NE
11. What can a Nebraska worker's compensation attorney do for me? Omaha, NE
12. How do we divide assets in a divorce? Omaha, NE
13. Why should I consult an attorney for my personal injury case?
14. How is child custody determined in Nebraska?
15. Do I need a lawyer for my DUI? - Omaha NE
16. What are the steps in a personal injury case?
17. What is the workers' compensation process in Nebraska?
18. How is child support calculated in Nebraska?
19. What are the penalties for a first offense DUI in Omaha NE - DUI Attorneys
20. What benefits can I receive in a workers compensation case? Omaha NE
21. What do you do when you're hurt at work?
22. What do I do if I'm involved in a car accident?
23. Who pays for the medical bills when I've been in an accident?
24. What does the divorce process entail? Omaha, NE
25. How will a DUI affect my license? Omaha NE
26. What is a Subrogation Claim?
Ending a marriage is not easy, even when both you and your spouse are in agreement. It is an emotional process. The decisions you make during the process will have a long-term impact on your life. It is therefore important to have the right type of guidance.
If you’re going through a divorce, it is advisable to hire a divorce lawyer. This is true even for what is known as an uncontested divorce in Omaha, Nebraska. Divorce lawyers do much more than argue your case in court. Learning what a divorce attorney does will help you understand why you need one.
What divorce lawyers do...
1. Pre-divorce counseling
If you and your spouse are thinking of getting a divorce, discussing your situation with a lawyer would be a wise step to take. Deciding to end a relationship can leave you full of a wide range of emotions. You may not see the true impact of the decision you are about to make. Talking to a lawyer will help you gain a clear perspective of what a divorce will mean for you and your family.
Your divorce attorney will help you understand whether a divorce is the best option and what other options are available. They will help you sift through your emotions and come to an objective decision.
2. Explaining the grounds for your divorce
Nebraska is a pure, no-fault divorce state. This means that you don’t have to prove the grounds for a divorce if you want to dissolve your marriage in Omaha. This has the benefit of helping couples avoid the typical guilt and bitterness that comes with assigning blame during the process of divorce.
You do, however, need to show that your union is irretrievably broken. This is especially the case when seeking a divorce and your spouse disagrees. Your attorney can help you prove that you and your spouse are incompatible. They can help you show the judge that there is no chance that your relationship will be repaired in the future.
3. Giving objective advice throughout the divorce process
There are many decisions that have to be made after you and your spouse decide that divorce is the best option for your relationship and family. These decisions will have a long-term impact on your life after divorce. Decisions such as who should get custody of the children and how assets should be divided ought to be made with consideration to the long-term impact they will have. It is therefore important to put your emotions aside and make objective decisions.
This can be difficult when going through a divorce. You will be filled with a variety of emotions. It helps to have an attorney that can provide you with objective advice. Your divorce lawyer is not emotionally involved in your case. You can rely on their experience and knowledge of the law to provide you with objective advice for your best interests.
4. Help with property division
Asset division is often a cause for dispute in divorce. Spouses may try to hide assets from each other. They may also fight over specific assets. It is also important to consider the property that each spouse brought into the marriage and the presence of prenuptial or postnuptial agreements. Repayment of debts must also be considered.
Your attorney will explain to you what would be in your best interests when it comes to distribution of assets. They will represent you in meetings with your spouse’s representatives and help to draft a property settlement agreement which will be presented in court.
5. Help with custody
Custody is another area that many couples dispute over. Spouses may try to use the children as a weapon to get revenge for the hurt that the other spouse has caused.
It is important for the children’s best interests to be considered in determining custody. A divorce attorney will help you determine custody plans that will work for both you and your spouse while addressing the needs of your children. They will also help you fight for custody of your children in the event that there is a dispute.
6. Preparation of documents
There is a lot of documentation required in the divorce process. These include paperwork for filing for a divorce, settlements and other agreements. Your divorce attorney will help to prepare formal documents and ensure that they are submitted in court for approval. A divorce attorney will ensure formal responses are drafted and submitted. They will gather any documents required for filing the divorce.
7. Representing you in court
Your divorce attorney will represent you in court. They will submit your documents on your behalf and fight on your behalf in case of disputes. You can rely on the experience and skills of a divorce attorney to litigate your case if the need arises.
If you’re thinking of getting a divorce in Omaha, Nebraska, be sure to talk to an experienced and skilled divorce attorney to get the support and guidance you need.